Ek Kathak Aur Uski Kathayen

Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Stragers in the Night, part 1

He was staring right into my eyes. A deep long stare, as though he could read all my secrets and all of that which lay beneath.

"Whatcha think of moving in with me?”
“That’s the regular morning after talk, isn’t it?”
“No… I’m serious. I need you. I want you. I need a warm body cuddling up to me, becoming a part of me. Being me, for those moments of passion, being with me for the other moments called life”
“I… Ummm…………”

--

It was some hours ago - we were strangers.
He was sitting there, sipping scotch. Every few minutes his gaze would meet mine, and he would smile. I smiled back. He had a pleasant yet intriguing smile. We were strangers, exchanging glances.

I got up; he gave a questioning glance.
I smiled. He followed me.

“He must be 35ish I thought”, I was 25.
None of us spoke a word. We communicated rather well without words.

I got into my car. Drove the next 10 odd kilometres thinking of him. I could see his headlights in the rear view, following me.

There was Frank Sinatra singing,

Something in your eyes was so inviting,

Something in you smile was so exciting,
Something in my heart,
Told me I must have you.

How true. We were strangers; yet, there was something that made me trust him instinctively. He could have been the psychopathic serial killer who goes about killing young women in the middle of the night, but that thought never crossed my mind. Not then at least, and not until now, when I realised, I should have thought of it.

The 15-minute drive was killing me. There was nothing more I wanted than to be with him, to be in his arms. But 15 minutes are 15 minutes, and they end precisely after 15 minutes. I stopped the car, and got down. Unlocked the house, got inside, and left the door open. I assumed he would follow. I was right.

“Coffee?”
“Umm… okay”, he smiled. “Black, and while you’re at it, lace it liberally with rum”
I laughed. That’s just how I liked my coffee. Black and strong.

I took time with the coffee.
I smiled to myself.
He could wait a little longer.

11 Comments:

  • At 12:04 AM, September 23, 2004, Blogger Unknown said…

    "Strangers in the night
    Two lonely people
    We were strangers in the night
    Up to the moment when we said our first hello
    Little did we know
    Love was just a glance away
    A warm embracing dance away "

    You're an old fashioned romantic , ain't you?
    Awaiting part two.

     
  • At 11:19 AM, September 23, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Kathak,
    What's with the incomplete stories??? Atleast finish this one asap. Waiting for the details!!

    The Bisexual!

     
  • At 12:02 PM, September 23, 2004, Blogger S m i t h a said…

    i think u'll make an excellent romantic novel writer. im not trying to flatter u. i'll write blurbs for it... deal?

     
  • At 12:29 PM, September 23, 2004, Blogger Kathak - The Story Teller! said…

    Akshay>>> Very frankly, I don't know! Actually, I won't even know what you classify as an 'old fashioned romantic'. But I'm sure that was a rhetorical question, one I needn't particularly answer.

    Bisexual>>> Wait for some time. You can, I'm sure ;-)

    Smitha>>> Thanks for the flattery < evil grin >.
    Its a deal, the day I start writing romantic novels. But like the bisxeual (and the lover) once told me, I spoil the flow with technicalities like that of the 15 minutes. I just hope I don't "technical"ise my stories too much to lose the romantic element!!

     
  • At 1:47 PM, September 23, 2004, Blogger Daneshia said…

    hey Kathak
    hi!!!!!
    really liked your story, good u didn't give too much details. continue writing. but write abt something else too, once in a while, or you'll get bored.
    what else? meet u tomorrow
    :D

     
  • At 3:41 PM, September 23, 2004, Blogger S m i t h a said…

    I havent read enough romantic novel(except Love Story which is the mother of all romantic novels, i think) to constructively criticise on things like sidetracking-through-technicality. If Bisexual and Lover say so... i can't argue, can i? Their handle/name suggests they know and have seen a LOT!

     
  • At 10:20 PM, September 23, 2004, Blogger Kathak - The Story Teller! said…

    Dan>>> I'll sure write ab't something else. One day (See Smitha, how the 'one day syndrome' always gets to me) I'll do a story on one of my favourites, fast cars and bikes!

    Oh, and meet you tomorrow, and do not study for DSP... tumhe engineering ki kasam, tum yeh nahi kar sakti :p

    Smitha>>> Never mind the criticism... girls just love flattery, so keep it up. Btw, there is another small technicality (there, again) in 'constructive criticism'. Its, constructive, if I'm criticising, however, if it is aimed at me, it is anything but constructive. Now.... you wouldn't do that to a fellow blogger, would you?

     
  • At 11:09 AM, September 24, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kathak darling,
    As I have noticed of late, you are behaving rather weird (or normal for you!!). The only remedy I can think of for that is that you "get a life!". I hope you understand what I mean by that.
    Don't misunderstand me, its got nothing to do with your story, but you see, I am always in your company, so there are other things that I will notice besides your story. Really...get a life!

    The Bisexual!

     
  • At 12:00 PM, September 24, 2004, Blogger S m i t h a said…

    i really was not trying to flatter u. trust me, if i were, u would notice!
    u honestly write good romance.
    we are still waiting. btw - is that a technicality u picked up to improve the suspense of ur stories...writing them in parts?

     
  • At 9:14 PM, September 24, 2004, Blogger Kathak - The Story Teller! said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 9:38 PM, September 24, 2004, Blogger Kathak - The Story Teller! said…

    I don't know where my comment has disappeared, but none the less, another shot at it.

    Bisexual>>> Baby, there are other methods of communicating personal msgs. Eg. Chits during lectures, voice during DSP pracs (rather than comments during DSP pracs, since we happen to sit next to each other, in case you missed it), e-mail, text msgs and many others. So, if you would kindly take note of them and try using them in future.

    Smitha>>> OKay Smitha.... I accept all the compliments graciously! And regarding the stories in parts, thats because, this avoids really loooooooooooooong stories that could bore the reader to death!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home