Ek Kathak Aur Uski Kathayen

Sunday, July 17, 2005

That was Day 2 at the job!

No no, not the high profile code generating job that I was placed at in college. That's still way off. And the only solace is that it's probably high profile. So I get myself a part time job till then. No no, not the high profile... shit... I'm repeating myself. Talk about pain. Extreme pain. No, I'm not random blabbering. It's the pain I feel at my job not being high profile. But please don't ask me to define high profile. I really can't. Okay? And I'm not even over the pain of destroying my note books.

Anyway, my job.
So I got a telling from my boss for reading the newspaper on the job at 9 am.
Like Hello... I wake up, goto the gym, rush to this place and I still haven't seen news. That's so screwy!!
So I tell him "But there's nothing lined up to do, so what am I supposed to do?"
And then he tells me "Whatever, but you shouldn't read the newspaper"
And I was thinking "Right dude. You're not thinking IIM-A 2007, I am"
The keyword of course being "thinking". Let's not even get into 99 percentile and those talks!

I didn't even tell you guys what the job is. It's at the local Aptech. Yeah those computer institutes that at the height of the IT revolution made zillions of rupees into fooling poor B. Com graduates that they can be software engineers. Yes. I do have this superiority complex. Engineers are superior creatures regardless of the fact that they can score distinctions without studying. And I hate *inferior* creatures like those lowly B. Com grads into thinking they're software engineers. Fortunately they cannot be mechanical engineers. No people, I don't have a mechanical engineer boyfriend (but don't discount the affinity I have towards mechanical engineers), though I almost had one - the mechanical engineering boyfriend I mean, years ago... only hitch was for one he didn't take up mechanical engineering and then secondly, he wasn't my boyfriend at all. So much for a story!

So, I was at the job. Teaching poor unsuspecting kids about functions in C.
1. So I explain what are functions
2. Why are they needed
3. Library and User defined functions
4. Fill in whatever else you think i could have told
5. Then finally I write this nice little code with a function to add two numbers.
Yeah, right. Very cliched and all that. But it wasn't Kashish #2 that I was writing, it was a C program for kids!

And I tell them to write me some code on similar lines. You know like a program with a function to add two numbers. So this boy, a very perceptive little boy comes up with a code that has

1. The function prototyped
2. The function call
3. Rest of the necessary code
4. Interestingly the function definition missing.

And then he asks me, why on planet earth is he getting errors on compiling!
And I think, "Irfaan Sir, I really miss you!"
I can't understand how he managed sillier questions and stupider mistakes from us girls when he taught us C.

And then one lady, wanted to define her function to add the two numbers itself in main()
She justifies, "if I can write loops in main, why can't I define my functions in main"
And I was still mentally moaning over not having my notebooks on me and not being able to read either the newspaper or my bloglines till 11:30 am!

Later in the day was the fun. The gossip about the boss. Hahahahaha! I wasn't actively into it. I was just listening. Swear! Then of course I was chatting with this woman about what's to be taught next. Getting all nostalgic about the days Irfaan taught us C. And about me acting like a bhatakti aatma bhatkoing through the lab sorting out other people's code since mine used to be written, compiled and executed before the others could finish writing the preprocessor directives! That's probably the only thing I have been successful in doing in engineering college. Writing code in C. Never mind if it wasn't the most secure code... errr.... it wasn't anything close to code all you buggers from whatever certified companies would define as passable and your QA guys wouldn't chuck into the shredder (or whatever they do to dirty code). But it worked. And getting code to work.... oh well... never mind!

So I'm blabberring and the woman asks "hey... were you a rank holder of your college?"
And I very modestly say, "not really, but yeah managed to stay around the 4th/5th position" what I didn't say was once it slipped to 6th or something like that! And they give me this look that could have asked "and what the fuck are you doing here?"

Tell me, and we'll all know!

Yeah. Whatever.
Time to call it a day, I guess!

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home