Ek Kathak Aur Uski Kathayen

Saturday, April 09, 2005

The strange ways of a stranger world

I come across this fellow.
I guess a nice fellow, working for a certain company.
So far so good.
Off hand, the possibilities I can think of are:
a) He could be studying (or pretending to, like I do)
b) He could be working
c) He could be between jobs (or laid off from his last one)
d) He could be looking for a job (or an IQ so low that even a BPO wouldn't hire him)

Fortunately (for him, I figure) we have scenario (b)
The fellow works for this software company, generating as much code as any human code generator humanly could. After all he has a family to feed and all that (okay, that wasn't needed, but it adds to the dramatic effect). Now since he works for a company, it goes without saying that the company should have a name. To protect his identity (or for self amusement... take your pick) I shall call the company Mathematics (I was initially thinking of calling the company Algebra, but Mathematics rhymes with the actual name of the company... besides the fact that had I not been on way to become an engineer I would probably have been a mathematician, and the fact that... oh well... its getting too big inside these brackets)

I have as always gone away from the main point. So I shall steer back on course. And to give you a quick recap :
1. We have a fellow
2. He's working
3. For a company called Mathematics

Now to proceed further:
He has a friend, from the same company (Nothing unusual, I hear you say). Lets call the friend Mr. Bee (That has no resemblance to the friends name, I just didn't want to name him Aye, which also FYI has no resemblance to his real name in any case.)

Now, another fine day, I'm on the treadmill when I see this girl. To tell you all a secret, I have this obsessive compulsive talking disorder (alright, it ain't a defence secret but there is a possibility that one in a zillion pea brained fellow didn't know the fact) and I get chatting with her. So we talk about what I do and what she does and all, when

Me: So you staying in a hostel?
Girl: No, with my brother.
Me: So, what does he do?
Girl: He's working.
Girl: For a company called Mathematics
And there I go like WTF????!!!!?????
Of course I wasn't all that visibly dramatic. Just for general knowledge I ask the girl, "What is his name?"
And she tells me "Mr. Gee"
And I stock this up with other trivia (which includes the fact that the hotel room where the code generator I was speaking about stays has an internet speed of 11Mbps)

Then on another fine day I go through Mr. Code Generators Orkut profile, and the profile of his good friend Mr. Bee and who do I see? Our very own Mr. Gee!!!!!

And I think "six degrees of separation"

Up till now, we have with us, 3 fellows, all working for the same company. I could even digest Mr. Gee (For the record that was a figure of speech, I'm very much vegetarian and do not advocate cannibalism) but now what happens? I go a walking with my friend and right near my house, like say 80-100 metres away I see this lovely couple walking hand in hand and and and what does that I-Card around their neck read? What other than "Mathematics!!" (phew!)

But dear readers, that is not the end of my post. There's more coming up.
So I'm in the gym again. And I say hi to this girl. And she says hi, and the usual social niceties follow. And then the usual drill:
"What do you do?"
"I'm studying, final year engineering"
"What branch?"
"Electronics and Telecommunication"
I didn't add I'm Rank #6 lest she felt I was a little immodest and all that. After a few seconds of untying the shoe laces and getting out of the right shoe and working on the socks (I have these interesting stories about the holes in my socks, but there's always next time) I ask her,
"So, what do you do?"
"I'm working"
"Errr.... with?"
"Mathematics"
Why did I bother asking. I should have simply assumed.

But then like my dad says "never assume anything".
I decided, a new day; new philosophy; no assumptions.

Now I'm in college, and someone is discussing her brother with her friends. So I happened to overhear a part of the conversation (So sue me) and this babe's telling, "Oh... he's just joined Mathematics" I thought it was just me, maybe I'm hearing things so I barge in rather impolitely and ask "What company was that again?" A totally bewildered girl says "Mathematics"... And I walk away, incoherently muttering my apologies and a couple of obscenities along with them.

Sorry dad, but next time I meet someone, I think I'll just assume they work for Mathematics. And since I'm currently speechless I shall say what Danny would have said had she been me "lekin yeh sabh mujhpe kyon gire?"

10 Comments:

  • At 1:38 AM, April 10, 2005, Blogger Daneshia said…

    Lekin yeh Mathematics company mujhpar hi kyun gir rahi hai?

    Hey was the first guy Twinsie?

     
  • At 6:14 AM, April 10, 2005, Blogger S m i t h a said…

    ROTFL !! good one Kathak. whats with the increased and improved `bracket-skills`, i mean the stuff u write inside ().

    Yes danny, it is twinsie i think, who else she can accuse of having a low IQ and get away with?

     
  • At 10:54 AM, April 10, 2005, Blogger Daneshia said…

    hahahaha

     
  • At 10:55 AM, April 10, 2005, Blogger Daneshia said…

    someone's so sure of oneself..........

     
  • At 12:17 PM, April 10, 2005, Blogger Kathak - The Story Teller! said…

    Danny, yes. The first guy was your very own twin!

    Smitha, I didn't really accuse him of having a low IQ! I just said that could have been a possibility. But he didn't fit into category (d) anyway :)

    And for the brackets, well... I could put all that outside the brackets but its fun putting them inside the brackets like 2 ppl speaking at the same time. You know when Kathak stops her alter ego who stays inside those brackets takes over and when alter ego stops Kathak comes back again!

     
  • At 4:37 PM, April 10, 2005, Blogger Sudhakar said…

    "never assume anything"
    Never *assume* anything, it makes *ass* out of *u* and *me* :)

     
  • At 6:29 PM, April 10, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well Sudhakar but without making assumptions a lot of things wouldn't have come through. Economics wouldn't exist and neither would science if there were no assumptions. So I guess to achieve something you have to make ass of u and me. ASSUME!!!

     
  • At 6:49 PM, April 10, 2005, Blogger Kathak - The Story Teller! said…

    Charlie, I liked the part of making an ass :D

    G, assuming its you commenting as anon... it really wouldn't hirt of you sign your name. I don't bite, really! (and in case I did make an ass of me asuming it was G, the same applies... you can sign your name, i don't bite)

     
  • At 10:23 PM, April 10, 2005, Blogger Pearl said…

    Baby didi, I'm telling you... you and this company have some connection... some mysterious connection... Some connection from your last life... is it a chinese company by any chance? Or does the company have any chinese connections which are connected to you????? Anyone reading this, working for mathematics please tell me... any remote chinese connection would also do :D

     
  • At 1:32 PM, April 11, 2005, Blogger Daneshia said…

    why chinese?

    hey wud this connection do - the employees like chinese food?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home