Ek Kathak Aur Uski Kathayen

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Flat and Fiat

You know how it is with placements? The companies with huge brand value, which of course equates to peanuts as salaries, come in first pick up the *toppers*, the young, smart dynamic kids and walk away; when they can really do without them! And the rest of the populace is left trying to make do with whatever they can salvage.

Now if you forward to say, 10 years later where we have topper meets dud who actually flunked M1, M2, Mechanics and Graphics so many times over that the dud spent a couple of extra years just clearing them while the topper guy was enjoying with 78s and the like in the subject, when all that was required was a 40, dreaming of beaches, fast cars, palatial bunglows and fictitious net worth statements.

Dud: Hey!!!!
Topper: Oh hi!
Dud: And life...
Topper: Going on. I'm doing well enough for my family. I managed to buy a 2 bedroom flat and this 1976 fiat. The car isn't like the Optra's and the CRVs of today, but life is going on smooth enough. How about you?
Dud: Oh, I had a bad time after graduating. You know how it was. I cleared engineering in 7 years, had so many marksheets that I needed multiple files for carrying them to interviews and then no one really wanted me. None of your Infosys types - that's where you were right?
Topper: Uh huh
Dud: (still carrying on in his own vein) ...so none of them took me. After a year of being rejected and dejected I took my uncle's advice and started my own business. My uncle was smart, he told me "Son, remember, keep a low profit margin of say 3-5% and focus on turnover as a greater turnover translates into higher returns over the years". So I took his advice and started my own business. Initial investment needed was practically nil.
Topper: (with eyes as big as they can get, yet trying to keep his voice as *normal* as possible) What kind of business?
Dud: Oh nothing grand... Just some re-packaging of small goods... but it was a pot of gold, I tell you! I'm currently valued at 50 Million and do not regret those engineering days at all! I buy these items for 2 rupees and sell them at 5 rupees, with a profit margin of 3%....

3% indeed! While our topper contends himself with flat and fiat!

17 Comments:

  • At 1:52 PM, April 14, 2005, Blogger Sudhakar said…

    I read this kinda story somewhere or may be heard from someone about a real life thing that happened exactly as what u have said here.

     
  • At 2:52 PM, April 14, 2005, Blogger Unknown said…

    You know what they say

    Higher and Management got D's in school.
    Middle Management were the ones with the C's and
    The engineers are with the A's and and B's well but the CEO was the one with the F

     
  • At 2:56 PM, April 14, 2005, Blogger Kathak - The Story Teller! said…

    Charlie, the 3% was another story I heard as a kid from dad. The flat and fiat was something I heard recently from dad's friend. I thought the 3% integrated well in it (as against leaving it at some big business). You know our kinds, the storytellers, we're notorious! So I take two different stories, add a couple of random sentences and get myself a brand new post!

    Akshay, lol!

     
  • At 3:27 PM, April 14, 2005, Blogger AmitKen said…

    LOL !!!

    life rewards everyone, but in different ways i guess.

     
  • At 9:44 PM, April 14, 2005, Blogger S m i t h a said…

    F = CEO!!! Why didnt u guys tell me this before i went to college?? There goes my dream of becoming a CEO someday :( i feel miserable.

    On a different note.. whats wrong with a flat & a fiat? I always thoughts that is what we are all playing for :D

    K, good one!

     
  • At 9:45 PM, April 14, 2005, Blogger Unknown said…

    god knows where my earlier comment came for may be I saw a glimmer of hope for myself. I have to find that uncle.

     
  • At 12:01 AM, April 15, 2005, Blogger kiten said…

    Thanks Kathak....
    Thanks for making me fell good for not being the *topper* in college :)

     
  • At 12:05 AM, April 15, 2005, Blogger kiten said…

    "fell" => "feel"

     
  • At 10:00 AM, April 15, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cheers for the back benchers and all those D's, E's and F's

    :D:D:D

    -Parag.

    P.S. - look D also comes in :D
    No doubt D's seem to be happy. :D

     
  • At 11:11 AM, April 18, 2005, Blogger Kathak - The Story Teller! said…

    Amitken, lol! Yeah, it did reward Mr. 3% rather well :)

    Mathi Boy, we're playing for bigger things... world control, total domination!!! Not flat and fiat for pete's sake!!!!!!

    Akshay the 3% uncle?

    Hero, glad to be of service!

    Parag, yes, cheers to the under-achievers... I always knew there was something grand about them!

     
  • At 4:16 PM, April 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The fact is that a major portion of millionaires are high school dropouts. But then, they made is big cause they had the talent to make it big. And those of us who don't know how to make it big and are duds as well.....anybody knows about an open job for a maid servant???? :D

     
  • At 9:32 PM, April 19, 2005, Blogger Kathak - The Story Teller! said…

    G, I'm sure you have better things to do than being a maid servant for christ's sake. And no, I didn't find the joke funny.

     
  • At 5:47 PM, April 21, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    but it wasn't a joke!! Maid servant giri is a great way to lose all those extra pounds!!!! :D
    :P Just kidding. but you know the other day I meet this Princeton Economics Graduate on the train. This uncle, before you get any ideas and he actually gave me a whole sermon on why and where and when and how I should find my footing in life. A lost soul in this dark dangerous world!!! :D
    This for a guy who didn't know me at all. But the whole idea is why the hell am I wasting my life on Education when I have to go and fall into a deep dark well!! :D

     
  • At 8:07 AM, April 22, 2005, Blogger Kathak - The Story Teller! said…

    G, yeah sure its a great way to lose those extra pounds (and those ugly bulges around the abs), but that besides, I'm still not amused!

     
  • At 5:56 PM, April 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dump the amusement. It wasn't meant to amuse it was just a random idea. One of those random schemes that keep appearing in my head when I'm bent on throwing education to the crows!! By the My friend M is getting into National Instt of Design. Remember? :D No comments on the gifts to siblings??? I'm sure pearl is waiting for those comments.

     
  • At 2:24 PM, April 23, 2005, Blogger Kathak - The Story Teller! said…

    G, replies to no gifts is there on the other post comment board... where you can read it :)

     
  • At 5:22 PM, April 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well K I have recommented on that comment of gifts to siblings and if we keep re re commenting on each other's comments its soon going to be the 6th of May with my darling Juliet landing up with that oh so adorably heart melting expression on her face!! :D

     

Post a Comment

<< Home