Ek Kathak Aur Uski Kathayen

Thursday, May 19, 2005

ALOHA

Sounds like a war cry to me.
Regardless of either the Hawaiian or the computer networks connection.

But anyway. When I was a kid, of maybe 5 odd years we had gone to Trivandrum. My dad's sister was there. Her husband works for ISRO and at one time our very esteemed President used to be his immediate boss. (That's your random trivia for today #1.) So the train we went by stopped at this place. Beautiful scenery and all that jazz. Probably the train guy knew we were first timers. The after some 20 minutes the train re-started and moved at a decent enough and constant velocity (in hindsight I'd say probably 60kph, or at least it felt like what it feels when you stick your neck out of the car window when the car is at 60kph) And then it took us some 40 minutes to reach the station. After which on travelling barely 2km from the station we find our self right next to the place where we were stationary for 20 minutes. (That's your random trivia for today #2.) Maybe that was the train guy's cue to the stowaways to jump out of the train. Not that there was much checking at the station in any case. So they could have got down there itself.

My point being, that's all there is to my association with Mallu land. Unless you discount the sweet Mallu girl I met at the gym some 5-7 times who weighed just 0.5 kgs more than I do. (That's your random trivia for today #3)

The reason I've been talking of Mallu's is, when my networks proffie says "Slotted Aloha" I get this feeling that a Mallu is on his death bed asking for water. (That is
NOT random trivia :D)

For those who still haven't figured, that was *the* joke.
Every time I read "Slotted Aloha" I literally start rofl
ing.
I even made Pearl say it out at least two dozen times, maybe more, and it just kept cracking me up. The Slotted Aloha, not the Mallu on his bed.
Every time I type "Slotted Aloha" I burst into peels of laughter all over again.
Someone stop me.

P.S: Danny thinks "ALOHA" sounds like something sad. I still maintain it sounds like a war cry.

UPDATE:
This is what happened on yahoo messenger after the post was published :D

BUZZ!!!
BUZZ!!!
kathak: was just abt to log off
Danny: :)
kathak: i wrote a new post, btw
Danny: what wrere u doing
Danny: ok
Danny: i'll check
kathak: :)
kathak: its short
kathak: do it and give me your feedback
Danny: hmm
Danny: wait
Danny: hmm
Danny: hey this mouse isn't working properly
kathak: what is it doing?
kathak: maybe the ball whatever thing needs cleaning
Danny: hmm ok
Danny: hey it is a nice post
Danny: yeah, the ball needs cleaning.
kathak: okay
kathak: that was quite tentative
Danny: but why do u laugh at slotted aloha?
kathak: i don't know
kathak: i've been laughing since afternoon
kathak: like a maniac
Danny: i didn't get *the joke*
kathak: good
kathak: not many ppl will
kathak: in fact not anyone besides me would
Danny: tell me na
Danny: and what has it got to do with malluland?
kathak: the joke is
Danny: tell tell tell!
kathak: that "slotted aloha" makes me laugh
kathak: because i keep imagining a mallu asking for water
kathak: on his death bed
Danny: so?
kathak: so nothing
kathak: i just find it funny
Danny: what has slooted
Danny: oops
Danny: slotted
Danny: and aloha
Danny: got to do with a mallu asking for water on his death bed?
kathak: i don't know
kathak: and thats the joke
Danny: :(
Danny: seems i'm in no mood to understand ur kinda jokes
kathak: thats okay
kathak: i don't know whts so funny abt it actually
Danny: hmm
kathak: its just funny
Danny: hmm
kathak: without a reason funny
Danny: hmm
kathak: maybe it'll go down in history as my own private joke
Danny: something being funny without a reason
kathak: yeah thats it
kathak: my own private joke
Danny: is in itself funny
Danny: hmm
kathak: the thought of my own private joke makes me go all rofl ing
kathak: all over again
Danny: everybody has their own private jokes
Danny: :)
Danny: and u can have urs
Danny: slotted alohas :(
Danny: and whatever
kathak: :D
Danny: :D

7 Comments:

  • At 11:59 PM, May 21, 2005, Blogger S m i t h a said…

    Aloha kiddo...
    ur own private joke huh? i miss those already :(
    :*

     
  • At 6:13 PM, May 22, 2005, Blogger Kathak - The Story Teller! said…

    Yeah Mathi boy, my own private joke :))

    But more than the private joke I realised that this fellow Andrew Tanenbaum has the most awesome sense of humour. I'm kicking myself for not reading text books before. Damn... 7 semesters w'out readin text books and finally when I pick up one and glance thro it, I'm thinking, "I was a bloody fool".

    so he writes

    "Bands upto 10GHz are nw in routine use, but at about 4 GHz a new problem sets in: Absorbtion by water. These waves are only a few cm long and are absorbed by rain. This effect would be fine if one were planning to build a huge outdoor microwave oven for roasting passing birds, but for communication, it is a severe problem"

    Or try this,

    "In 1990, Motorola broke new ground by filing an application with the FC asking for permission to launch 77 satellites for the Iridium project (Iridium atomic number is 77). The plan was later revised to use only 66 satellites. so the project should have been renamed Dysprosium (element 66, but that probably sounded too much like a disease"

    And too many subte and not so subtle jokes to put in here, it deserves more respect. (Btw, there's some respect joke also in there).

    Interestingly, Spread Spectrum was first co-invented by an Austrain born sex goddess who was also the first woman to ever appear nude in any motion picture!!

    On the flip side, I'm skimming thro' the book for the jokes. Omitting the other text... But hats off to this fellow... he's tooo funny!!! He's funnier than Slotted Alohas!!

     
  • At 8:09 PM, May 22, 2005, Blogger Daneshia said…

    Yes! Tanenbaum's great!

     
  • At 12:59 AM, May 24, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi kathak!

    you see actually this is what happens when you try to read someting finally after seven semesters of engineering....:D

    danny please keep your books aside for sometime ...seems you have been studying toooooooo much!

    Agent R!

     
  • At 2:24 AM, May 24, 2005, Blogger Kathak - The Story Teller! said…

    Agent R, this studying business is not nice. I think I shall follow the keep the books aside advice.

    But I still like the guy.
    I'd probably read him after the exams get over :)

     
  • At 11:19 PM, August 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Slotted Aloha = Dying Mallu asking for water!!

    I am still ROFLMAO!!

    -Found this blog in a Google search!

     
  • At 1:15 PM, August 29, 2005, Blogger Kathak - The Story Teller! said…

    Anon, I like you already!!

    *grin*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home